Monday, August 1, 2011

Meeting A Friend I Had Never Met.


When I was telling my friends about my Florida trip, I always said that I was going to see the ocean and going to Tallahassee to meet a friend that I had never met. I got a few strange looks from that comment. Several times I have mentioned in this blog that I belong to the Captain Comics Board. There are several people on the board that I have always considered friends, even though the only way we know each other is through what we have posted there. Most people on that board post under an alias, however, I am not one of them. One of my friends there posts under the name Dagwan. He is one of the followers of this blog, and has commented on it several times. He also is the owner of a comic book store, which is called The Secret Headquarters. Since I know that he reads this and I wanted to surprise him, I didn't post much before I left on vacation. That way he didn't have a chance to leave town.

His store was very easy to find. All I had to do was take exit 199 off I-10 and go south. It wasn't very far down that road. I didn't park directly in front of the store because I wanted to take the picture that you see and didn't want him to see me taking it. When I entered the store he asked if he could help me. I told him that I was the ambassador from the Centauri Republic, and I had a question that I wanted to ask him. (On the Captain Comics Board we gave ourselves titles. If you been reading this blog long enough you know that the my title comes from the TV series Babylon 5 and the line was said by the Centauri ambassador, Londo Mollari. I have been the Centauri ambassador on that board for years.) He gave me a look like, oh my, the lunatics have escaped the asylum and I forgot to lock the door. Then he asked me to remove my hat and he knew who I was. Up until that point I didn't even know his real name, which is Brian. His daughter was also in the store with, and he is always affectionately referring to her as Baby Bean. She is a delightful little girl.

We had a very nice visit, and I did buy a couple of books from him. He also gave me a couple of books, one of which was a copy of a Godzilla book which shows Godzilla destroying his store. While he is running away from a carrying his daughter. Here is that cover.



The question that I had for him was how can you call your place The Secret Headquarters and then tell everyone where is at? He told me about once a week someone comes and says that they didn't know he was there. He tells them that's why it is a secret headquarters. Brian is a great guy and has a very good comic book store. If you want to know more, you can go to his website here. Incidentally, Brian, I am planning next year to go see the Gulf of Mexico. I will drop in again when I go there. I'll try and let you know I am coming this time, so you can leave town if you'd like. All kidding aside, Brian it was great to meet you and your daughter. I wish you the best luck in the future.

One of the things that we talked about was my feelings about the changes that are coming from DC comics. Closer to the time that those changes take place I'm going to be devoting a blog post to it. Brian knows how I feel about it, but thanks to him I am changing my stance just a little bit. That, however, is a discussion for another day.

After leaving Tallahassee, I went to Albany, Georgia, where I spent the night. What I did on the return trip I will talk about Wednesday. I am making a slight change on my Tuesday posts. Instead of it being Baseball Card Tuesday, it will now be New Release Tuesday. New movies come out every Tuesday and since I am now the one putting them out I will tell you what is available.

2 comments:

Brian from Secret Headquarters said...

I was glad to have met you, Howard!

Outside of Jason aka "Lime Coke" who I had as a customer before he joined the Legion, you are the first Legionnaire I've met in person. It would be awesome if we could hold a Legion mini-con somewhere!

MarkSullivan said...

I love this story, especially the care you took surprising Brian. I'd like to visit his shop sometime when I'm in Florida, but it's way off my usual route. Someday.