Thursday, July 7, 2011

Name Calling.


We all know that today in our politically correct world, you really need to watch what you say about other people, because they just might interpret that as name-calling, at which time, you might find yourself being sued. Personally, I don't believe in name-calling, but if somebody hurls an epitaph towards me, I just shrug it off and consider the source. I make myself the butt of many of my jokes. Some people really enjoy belittling others and you take all the enjoyment away from them when you do that. If I choose to use an ethnic joke, I tell it as a moron joke. I believe if you're offended by a moron joke, you deserve to be.

A woman has filed a $50 million lawsuit against the state of New York, for a name they have used in reference to her brother. I almost hesitate to use that word here, because I know that everyone who reads this are very kindhearted individuals, and I really would hate to upset you. However, in all honesty, I must use that word, so please brace yourselves and don't hate me for using it. That nasty word is inmate. I can sense everyone cringing as you read that word. Shocking, isn't it, and I apologize to anyone that I have offended.

Seriously, there is an actual lawsuit that has been filed over the word. The lady who filed the suit stated that the word, "implies that our brother is locked up for the purpose of mating with other men." I can see where he might be stigmatized by being called that. I also have never interpreted inmate in that manner. So why is this sensitive soul being incarcerated? He had a little disagreement with another gentleman over a business deal, involving drugs, where he ended the argument by putting a bullet in the other man's head. The other man did not survive. He was convicted of murder and sentenced to 25 years to life. I am not surprised that our renaissance man is offended by being called an inmate. He is eligible for parole in 2013.

In a move that I'm sure no one will find surprising, the woman who filed this lawsuit is also acting as her own attorney. We all know what is said about an attorney acting as his own client, and in order to avoid being sued, I will not use that phrase here. However, it truly does fit. Our courts today get bogged down with this kind of nonsense on a regular basis. There is no doubt in my mind that this suit will get thrown out, people in prisons will continue to be called inmates, and somebody will begin thinking upon the next ridiculous thing to bring before the courts. I am sure we will not have long to wait.

Weird Al Yankovic summed it up best in a song, I'll Sue Ya. You can watch it here.

No comments: