Monday, March 14, 2011

A Blessing In Disguise.


From what I have seen I am now very glad that I did not get my promotion. I actually feel sorry for the new manager. She is in over her head and is not getting any guidance for the job. Basically she is learning to swim by being dropped in the middle of the pool. There is no animosity on my part, in fact I am doing as much for her as I can. A lot of mistakes have been made recently and I correct all that I can, even though technically it is not part of my job. Most are simple fixes that should never have happened to start with.

I have never understood that attitude it's not my job. As long as I am on the time clock, I will do whatever is needed. There are certain places I would rather not work, such as fashions, but I have done it before. One of the longest hours that I spent working was when I was sent to the infants department to help straighten. The baby food and diapers were not bad, but having to refold the clothes and sort them out almost drove me crazy. (Of course some would argue that wasn't possible considering that I am already crazy.) The only thing that I have done that was worse was the morning that I was sent to cover the electronics department. I had to be there because that is where all phone calls are routed to until 7:00, when they are transferred to the person watching the dressing rooms. All the freight was out and everything was straightened, so all I had to do was stand around. Some would have enjoyed that, but I'm not one of them.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think our new manager will last more than six months. I have decided that I am no longer interested in the position. We have a career preference page so that when a position opens up that we have checked we are immediately on the list of candidates. Last night I took myself out of the running for the Frozen Foods/Dairy job. This was not done out of spite for not getting the job. I have come to my senses and I don't need the stress.

1 comment:

MarkSullivan said...

Sounds like you really did dodge a bullet there. I can only hope my present unemployed state resolves as well!