Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Have Totally Lost My Mind.


A couple of years ago I decided that I no longer wanted any part of retail management. I have managed a shoe department, an electronics department, the automotive/hardware department, receiving, and have been a salaried assistant manager. In addition to that I have been supervisor of laundry and housekeeping in a nursing home, and in two small grocery stores I wasn't technically a manager but I did all the ordering for the frozen foods and dairy departments. I know how to do the job, but there are stress levels there that I decided were no longer worth it. Anybody figure out where this is heading?

I have applied for the frozen foods/dairy department manager job at my current employer. So why have I changed my mind? Six months ago I requested to be moved from my current stocking position which is in both of those departments. I want to stock on the other side of the store, away from groceries. My body is talking to me, letting me know that the aging process does not go in reverse. Stocking merchandise on the other side of the store is still a lot of work, but the total weight of what has to moved is a lot less. I have been unsuccessful in my request. I was told that I am too good at what I do and they don't want to move me. It is a nice compliment, but the day is coming when I physically won't be able to keep up. I am 54 years old and do feel it. Using a baseball analogy, I would rather go out like Sandy Koufax than like Willie Mays.

So why get back into management if I am looking for something easier? For one as much as I try to forget it, I love a challenge. This definitely fits that. Secondly I really feel that I can make difference with the way things are going now. Lastly, the job is Monday through Friday, 7:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. That is actually the biggest reason I am going for it. Applying for it does not guarantee me the job. Being sick this past week may have cost me the job. I will not lose any sleep if I don't get it. However I will keep pushing to get moved. One of the managers has been accomodating me in getting me away from frozen and dairy most of the time, but when he is off I am back in the cold. I am giving them another month for some type of permanent change to take place. Inventory is coming. (Oh joy.) After that if they are not willing to work with me, I will start checking the available jobs at other stores in the area and will transfer. I really don't want to do that, but am willing to if I must. Had I been moved by now, I would never have considered a return to management.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I know what you mean about feeling the age. My knees are killing me more and more each day.

Al Penwasser said...

Management would be okay if it weren't for people.