Friday, January 22, 2010

Anti-social.


Some of my co-workers believe that I am anti-social. I'm not, but I do understand why they would think that. I do not take breaks or lunches with anyone and when I do take my break or lunch I go sit in the McDonalds in the store rather than in the break room. Actually there is a reason why I do that. Most of my co-workers take a break at Midnight, lunch at 2:00 A.M., and another break at 5:00. For the last four years I have taken my lunch after 3:00 A.M. The reason I do that is to make sure someone is available to unload a meat and produce truck that we get every night. Before I started taking a later lunch there were a few times that the truck arrived and the managers had to unload it. You can guess how well that went over. there are three of us who take care of it, and we were told to work it out among ourselves. I volunteered to go later. I actually prefer it that way. I would rather have most of the night out of the way before I take my lunch. Since I take a later lunch I take my break around 12:30. I also combine both of my breaks and take a half an hour. I never go exactly on time. I always pick a stopping point and go then. When working dairy or frozen foods you can not leave the freight out. It has to be put back into refrigeration when you go on break. I don't like coming back to a few cases so I go when I am done with whatever I have out. So there is a reason why I don't take breaks with my co-workers.

I will confess that even if I took breaks at the same time as everyone else I still would go to McDonalds. I take a book with me and I prefer to read in peace. The break room is gossip central. I really don't want to listen to the constant complaining about other people. I hear enough of it simply working. Even sitting in the break room at those odd times there are people coming and going. I prefer to go off by myself and go into whatever world my current book is taking me. If that makes me anti-social, so be it.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I know that every so often, I just have to get away from people and just be with myself for a little bit. Nothing wrong with that.

Al Penwasser said...

I'm actually the same way. I'm not a bit anti-social, but, when I take a lunch break, I prefer to do so in my car (I call it a "car picnic"). There I can listen to the radio in peace and get some downtime from all the chaos of the classroom. It makes me a happier person.

Caron said...

I don't like listening to my coworkers complain, either. I have actually walked out of the room when it starts and that makes me unpopular.