Monday, December 14, 2009

Rabbit Stew, Anybody?

Be careful. That is not a cute little bunny. That is a demon incarnate. I was very tempted to make him into rabbit stew Saturday. When I came home I found that he had jumped over my printer and was under my desk. While back there he had done a little chewing. I did not have an internet connection because of that. I had plans for Saturday. My Lady and I went to rome. She has been paying for a Sam's Club membership and had put me on her card, but we had not been over there to get the official card. Since there is a Wal-Mart next to it I went in and bought a cord. We return to Calhoun, I drop My Lady off at her house and I went home. I plug in the new cord and still no internet. The little demon had also chewed through the DSL cable.

I decided to go to Office Depot to acquire that cable. The person who helped me assured me that I had the proper cable. I specifically told her that I needed a DSL cable. She told me they were universal. Naturally I had not brought the chewed up cord with me. I have never been accused of doing the smart thing. I questioned her because the cord she was selling me was about five times thicker than the cord I had. She assured me it was the proper cord. I told her that i had got the cord with my DSL modem. She told me that AT&T made their own cords so it would be thinner because they gave you the cheapest cords that they could. I pay for the cord, go home, carefully cut the package, pull out the cord, (you see what's coming, don't you?) attempt to plug it in and of course the connector is too big. It won't work.

So back to Office Depot. They question me because the package is open. I told them I was told it was the right cord. They weren't happy about it, but I was told to go get the right cord and they would exchange it. Incidentally, this time I had the old cord. I am not that stupid. (No, that is not up for debate.) They do not have anything that will work. I am told that basically I am out of luck. They will not refund it because the package was opened. I told them I was assured that it was the right cord or I wouldn't have bought in the first place. After consulting with a manager I was given a refund. However, since it was more than $10, ($10.69 to be exact) I would have to given a gift card. I took it and left the store.

On my way home I decided I would call AT&T and find out where I could get a DSL cord. I was waiting for a light to change when I noticed a small computer store. I have been aware of this store but I had never been in it. The man was on the phone when I entered and I looked around while he finished that. I didn't see any so I asked him if he knew where I could get one. He told me all I needed was a regular phone cord. He went into the back, came out with one, and gave it to me. He told me they had a lot just sitting around in the back. After thanking him I returned home, plugged it in, and obviously it worked. That took my rabbit off the menu, for now. We have had a discussion,(alright, I talked and he ignored me) and he should never do this again. Of course the fact that I am now keeping a large piece of cardboard in front of the desk helps.

Had Office Depot not given me the refund I did have an alternative plan. I would have sent an email to their website, explaining that I had been guaranteed that the cords were universal. I would have pointed out that I specifically requested a DSL cord. I would have pointed out that they need to inform their salespeople that there is no disgrace in admitting that they did not know something. The main thing is I would have been polite in writing it. In dealing with any type of this situation always remain polite. I never raised my voice or showed any signs of anger. That is the best way to handle it.

I had hoped to pick up my pictures today but they had no idea when they would be in. I will get them Wednesday and will post them as soon as I can.

4 comments:

Al Penwasser said...

The first thing that went through my mind was the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail when they had to fight the "killer rabbit with the big, sharp nasty teeth!" Congratulations on fixing your problem. You're not the only one who has bought the wring thing after being told it WAS the right thing.

Caron said...

I have often thought of fricasee of feline. Lovely story. It sounds like "one of those days." I don't usually like those myself.

Caron said...

I went to WM this evening and thought of you. Here's why. We needed cat litter, but the brand we buy only had three containers and they were allllll the way against the back of the unit. So I crawled in on my tummy, with my legs hanging out to get them. After I got out, I thought I should have brought out the last one in case someone else comes along and isn't agile. Then I thought about the night crew showing up pretty soon! I figured really the store manager wouldn't want me crawling back in a second time if he knew about it. :)

blogger said...

your blog is too outstanding and eye catching,
you should try blogerzoom