Monday, July 6, 2009

Adventures In Retail.

All of the pallets that come into the store are shrink wrapped. This usually makes unloading the trucks easier, but not always. The way they stack some of the pallets you would need about a foot of wrap to keep them from falling. One of my co-workers learned a valuable lesson the other night about the shrink wrap. He was cutting it off of a pallet of two liter sodas. He cut too deep and sliced open one of the bottles. He drenched two customers who had just passed by. If you really don't know what happens when you cut a soda bottle, trust me when I tell you it is very messy. I have seen bottles explode when dropped, but this is only the second time I have seen one cut. Some people get so busy they don't think and cut too deep. We lose too much merchandise from this. I try and open boxes with my hands as much as possible to avoid this. Sadly, a lot of workers don't care.

We are at the time of the year when sales slow down. In Georgia school starts back up in a little over a month. People are saving their money for the special that the state gives consumers, the tax free weekend. There is no state sales tax on school supplies and clothes. There are restrictions on what qualifies, but we are extremely busy when it hits. Grocery sales also go up during that weekend because some people like getting everything at once. Of course once back to school is over Halloween hits and the Christmas can't be far behind. The crazy days are coming. Retail is so much fun.
The Revolutionary war ended in 1783.
Today's question is Grade 3/World History.

True or false? The Vikings sailed to North America 500 years before Columbus.

I knew this one. 102-17.

4 comments:

Mike Parnell said...

I worked in the Pepsi plant in Lumberton when I was teenager. They used to bottle 32 oz. Pepsis and the bottle were very thin. If you shook one just a bit, it would explode. A friend of mine got his bottom lip cut badly by one of those bottles. At least with plastic no one gets cut.

Jeff said...

When I was in high school, I worked in a gas station/quickie mart where we often had to use box cutters to open boxes (hey, go figure!). I remember one time we had a big Pepsi or Coke display or something right in the middle of the store. We looked up later and found a big puddle of cola on the floor, and couldn't figure out what it was. When I went to check it out, I found myself getting sticky all over, and discovered a fine mist of cola spraying out of one of the cans. It had been nicked by a box cutter. It was actually a really interesting phenomena.

Volly said...

The church I attend has posted a sign on the freezer compartment: "Please do not place soda bottles in the freezer. They're really hard to drink after they explode."

I'm always tempted to add, in smaller print, "Don't ask us how we know this."

Jeff said...

Ugh, please pardon my grammar in my last comment. It should say, "IT was actually a really interesting phenomeNON," instead of "phenomena".