Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm Rich.


I got an email yesterday telling me I am going to get a bank draft worth $500,000. Sound too good to be true? Read it for yourself:

- UNITED NATIONS COMPENSATION UNIT, IN AFFILIATION WITH THE ZENITH BANK.Attention: Beneficiary,How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family?, You may not understand why this mail came to you.We have been having a meeting for the passed 7 months which ended 2 days ago with the secretary to the UNITED NATION. This email is to all the people that have been scammed in any part of the world, the UNITED NATION have agreed to compensate you with the sum of US$ 500,000.00.This includes every foreign contractors that may have not received their contract sum, and people that have had an unfinished transaction or international businesses that failed due to Government problems etc. We found your name in our list and that is why we are contacting you, this have been agreed upon and have been signed.You are advised to contact Mr Jim Ovia of ZENITH BANK PLC, as he is our representative, contact him immediately for your Cheque/ International Bank Draft of USD$500,000.00 This funds are in a Bank Draft for security purpose ok? so he will send it to you and you can clear it in any bank of your choice.Therefore, you should send him your full Name and telephone number your correct mailing address where you want him to send the Draft to you.Contact Mr Jim Ovia immediately for your Cheque:Person to Contact: Mr Jim Ovia.Foreign Remittance Dept.Zenith Bank Plc.Tel: 234-709-009-6292.Email: info.zbn@gmail.com.Thanks and God bless you and your family. Hoping to hear from you as soon as you cash your Bank Draft.Making the w orld a better place.Regards,Secretary-General

Sound too good to be true? It has got to be legit. After all it is signed by the Secretary General. Of course it doesn't actually give his name but he must have been in a hurry, right? Also the fact that I have never fallen for one of those scams is just a minor detail. I have received a lot of the other scam emails, where someone wants your bank account information so they can transfer millions into it with you keeping a third of that. I am not exactly sure what they gain by sending you a bank draft but I know it can't be good.

It is amazing how many people fall for these scams. The old adage is right. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

I rarely answer my phone. I have caller ID and unless I know the person I don't answer. Also I sleep every afternoon which is the prime calling period. Since I have voice mail, I let it catch the calls. Most of the calls I get are from telemarketers. My three favorite ones are:

1. We will help you reduce your credit card debt. One even told me "I know you owe at least $5000." Really? That is amazing, especially considering I don't own a credit card.

2. Your car warranty is about to expire. This was even better when I had the 1993 Bonneville. I was almost tempted to call back and see what their reaction would have been.

3. They are selling burial insurance. Are they trying to tell me something?



2 comments:

Travis said...

Back in the '70s and '80s before e-mail, these people would it up mid-size to big corporations. The sad part is, some of them fell for the scam hard.

If memory serves one guy running the pension fund for a company in Australia ended up in jail when he invested the all of the money from the pension into one of these scams and it got taken. Amazing

pinky said...

today i got the same email
i wonder how far these scammers will go
now they are using a banks name
is there no stop for these stupid scams