Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Really Do Like My Job.


Tuesday I was whining about my job and I may have given the wrong impression. (Yes, I would like some colby-jack to go with that whine.) I really do like working in retail. My former mother-in-law used to complain to my wife about it. She would ask my wife when was I going to quit K-Mart and get a real job in a factory. After K-Mart decided my services were no longer needed in 2004 I did go to work in a factory. I could have gone to Wal-Mart then, but I decided to try factory work. Five months later I went to Wal-Mart. I started working retail at age 17 when I went to work for a grocery store in Mason City, Illinois. I like helping customers and I do enjoy stocking shelves. Some nights are aggravating, like Tuesday morning, but overall that is the exception. I hear a lot of grumbling from my co-workers. Their main complaints is Wal-Mart has the audacity to expect them to work for their money. Cruel, aren't they?

I have always tried to find something to enjoy in every job I have had. Even the factory wasn't that bad. The main reason I left is I had a feeling they wouldn't be around for long. They closed about a year after I left. If I get to the place that I hate my job, I will find something else to do.

I still am working at Taco Bell for 2 reasons. One is I like the bosses there. They simply stay out of my way because they know I get the job done. The other is I like what I do there. I am only working 2 days a week, when the deliveries come. I get in between 6 and 7 hours a week. I had originally planned on quitting at the end of the year, but as long as things stay the way they are I will remain. One thing my Dad told me shortly before he passed away was he missed being able to work. I am glad I am able and if the day comes I can't, I will know exactly how he felt.

No comments: