Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Final Curtain.


"And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain."
Paul Anka.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to write about this but I think it will help. My Dad's health has been bad for over 10 years. He has congestive heart failure, diabetes, recently broke his hip, has a pacemaker, has beaten prostate cancer, and is 76 years old. During his most recent hospital stay he was told by his doctor that nothing more can be done. I was told that on August 21, just before I left for work. I did not get as much done as I usually do, and decided I needed to go there. I had planned on going there for my vacation, so I took an extra 4 days off and went there. It is a 12 hour drive from here. They got him well enough to go home and arrangements were made with hospice care so he could stay home.

The time passed all too fast and I had to come back to be at work tonight. I am now waiting for that phone call that I don't want to get but I know is coming. Dad told me he has had a good life and when God is ready for him he is ready to go. I will talk more about this later. I have been writing some things on paper but I am not yet ready to post them. I feel blessed that I am 51 years old and still have both my parents, for a little while longer anyway.

The picture I have here is me and my Dad in Kentucky in 2001. My Dad's parents moved from there to Illinois.

2 comments:

Mike Parnell said...

Howard,

I am sorry. I lost my father back in 1993. The doctor told me that you were never a man until you lost your father. If that is the case, then that is a price too high to pay.

I do not look forward to your joining this fraternity.

Your family and you are in my prayers.

Travis said...

Your family is in my prayers Howard.