Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Why In Purple I'm Stunning 2.0



"I was there, at the dawn of the Third Age of Mankind. It began in the Earth year 2257 with the founding of the last of the Babylon stations, located deep in neutral space. It was a port of call for refugees, smugglers, businessmen, diplomats and travelers from a hundred worlds. It could be a dangerous place, but we accepted the risk because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for peace. Babylon 5 was a dream given form, a dream of a galaxy without war, where species from different worlds could live side-by-side in mutual respect. Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. This is its story."
This is the introduction to Babylon 5-The Gathering.

Babylon 5 is my all time favorite television series. One thing I enjoyed about it is it was actually one story, with a beginning, a middle, and an end. It just took five years to tell the story. Another thing I liked is the alien races were well thought out and had intriguing histories, not just the typical science fiction aliens. My favorite race is the Centauri and favorite character is Londo Mollari. On the Captain Comics board we give ourselves titles. Mine is Centauri ambassador and my avatar is Londo.

The title of my blog comes from a first season episode titled The Parliament Of Dreams. The plot is there is a celebration of all the aliens religions. Each gives a demonstration. The Centauri's religion involves a lot of drinking. Londo climbs up on a table, crawls a little and says:

"Did I ever tell you [Delenn] that you are very cute for a Minbari? Even you [Garibaldi] are cute, in an annoying sort of way. Everybody's cute! Everybody's cute! Even me. But in purple.. I'm stunning!" [collapses]

Then Vir and Garabaldi have this conversation:

"Ah! He has become one with his inner self!"
"He's passed out."
"That too."

The 2.0 is because this is the second version of this blog. I tried doing it a year ago but abandoned it after a couple of weeks. I liked the title so when I decided to revive it I went with the upgraded version, or 2.0. I think this one will run longer. One thing that helps is the comments I have received from my friends on the Captains Board. It is nice to know people are reading what you write.

Quote Of The Day
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

No comments: